What Does an Orthodontist Do?
There are often questions that surround what an orthodontist does vs what a dentist does, and when you are looking for the best South Jordan orthodontist, you need to think about what they could offer you. So, in this article, we’re going to explore what a South Jordan orthodontist can do for you in Eagle Mountain today!
What Is An Orthodontist?
Different from a dentist, an orthodontist is a specialist that focuses on the correction of the jaw and teeth. They adjust and fix the alignment of the jaw, and they straighten the teeth that are overcrowded or crooked. Orthodontists pay special attention to the aesthetics of the teeth, but they also concern themselves with the medical effects of an overcrowded mouth. An orthodontist is a person to speak to if there is a problem with over or underbites in the mouth.
What Procedures Can An Orthodontist Perform?
Orthodontists have a little more of an in-depth job compared to dentists. They are there to align your teeth and jaws, and the standard orthodontic care procedures include:
- Braces (metal, lingual and ceramic options)
- Aligners (Invisalign or ClearCorrect are standard)
- Dental X-Ray
- Other orthodontic services
Can A Dentist Step Into An Orthodontist’s Shoes?
Some dental specialists can perform complex procedures, but really, if you need the help of an orthodontist, that’s the expert to turn to! General dentists without the correct specialist education may not be as accurate as an orthodontist trained to ensure your teeth are correctly straightened. Our professional South Jordan orthodontist is here to help if you need to have your teeth corrected!
What’s The Difference
There are some definite differences between an orthodontist and a dentist, and these include the following points:
- Education. A dentist has to have a degree as an orthodontist does, but orthodontists also have to have further training to ensure that they are concentrating on niche orthodontic treatments. General dentists can finish dental school and practice, but orthodontists continue to attend a residency program and learn more in-depth procedures.
- Work. A general dentist is still required when you are seeing an orthodontist. They will even need to perform checkups and regular cleanings, and while your orthodontist tightens a brace, a dentist ensures your gums are healthy. However, the type of work an orthodontist does is very different from a dentist.
- Treatment. General dentists will look after your teeth and ensure that you have a healthy smile. An orthodontist will correct and straighten your teeth. Your dentist will care for your teeth with cleanings, fillings, crowns, cosmetic dentistry and more. An orthodontist will correct the alignment of your jaw, and the treatment includes braces and things like jaw and palate expanders.
Contact Us Today
If you need the help and advice of a South Jordan orthodontist, you need to get in touch with us today. We have the experts on hand to help you with your alignment and give you a smile that you have always wanted. Don’t hesitate to book an appointment today.